The deadline to apply for the EUSEW Awards has now passed, and no further applications will be accepted. Applicants can expect to be informed about whether they are a finalist by the end of March.
There are three awards categories: Innovation, Local Energy Action and Woman in Energy.
The EUSEW Innovation Award recognises outstanding ongoing or recently completed EU-funded projects that show an original and innovative path towards the clean energy transition.
The following eligibility criteria apply to all submissions. Meeting the eligibility criteria is mandatory. Applications that do not meet these criteria will be excluded from the evaluation.
Activities, projects or actions must be carried out in at least one country located in the European Union or the European Economic Area.
The EUSEW Innovation Award highlights outstanding EU-funded activities, projects or actions carried out by organisations or groups of people. Academic studies and theoretical research projects without any long-term, real-scale application directly linked to sustainable energy are not eligible. Activities promoting commercial products already on the market are also excluded.
The activities, projects or actions must be ongoing or recently concluded (after 31 December 2021). Activities, projects or actions that are still in the planning stage or have not yet delivered results are not eligible.
Previous winners and finalists
Activities, projects or actions that have previously been shortlisted as EUSEW Awards finalists are not eligible to re-enter the competition. Organisations or individuals that have previously been shortlisted are eligible if they present new activities, projects or actions.
All applications will be checked against the eligibility criteria set out above before being assessed. The evaluation process then consists of:
- an assessment by European Commission staff and an external technical committee;
- a selection of three finalists per category by a high-level jury.
The winner will be decided via an online public vote and announced at the Awards Ceremony taking place in Brussels on 20 June 2023.
Applications will be scored on three criteria, with a maximum score of ten points each. An application can therefore receive a maximum score of 30 points.
Concept (10 points)
Applicants should explain why their activity is a best-in-class example in their field. Applications should focus on highlighting elements of originality that will drive change towards the clean energy transition.
Implementation (10 points)
Applications should elaborate on how the project translates the concept into action. All actions should be clearly described and show the feasibility of implementation. Applications should highlight if elements of the project are reproducible and scalable.
Impact (10 points)
Applicants should explain what the impact of the activities described is. Each winning activity carried out by the project should have a significant impact (relative to the size of the action) and make a positive contribution to the European energy and climate targets.
- Launch of the call: 6 December 2022
- Closing of the call: 9 February 2023
- Evaluation period: February to March 2023
- Communication of results: end March 2023
- Production of promotion material: end March 2023
- Opening of the public vote: mid-May 2023
- EUSEW Awards Ceremony: 20 June 2023
By applying to the EUSEW Awards 2023 competition, the shortlisted finalists and winners agree to support the promotion of the Awards and its results by:
- providing additional information about the finalist to the EUSEW organising team for the development of promotional material, including but not limited to being available for a filmed interview and providing photos and quotes;
- using promotional materials to promote the Awards voting on any available channels in a strategic and effective manner;
- participating in possible follow-up activities in the course of 2023 and beyond (e.g. meetings, events, video production, etc.);
- granting the European Commission the right to use, for its communication and publicising activities, information relating to the project/initiative.
The European Commission will promote the projects/initiatives through its regular and ad hoc channels. Photos and videos taken by the European Commission either in preparation for the Awards ceremony or during the Awards ceremony are the sole property of the European Commission.
We invite you to read our FAQ section. Should you have any additional questions about the Awards, please contact the EUSEW Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also have a look at the recording and the slides of the Info Session that took place on 29 November 2022.