The European Sustainable Energy Awards (EUSEW Awards) competition highlights the success of recently completed or ongoing projects and activities as well as individual and collective actions in the field of energy efficiency and renewable energy. There are four Awards categories: Innovation, Local Energy Action, Woman in Energy and Young Energy Trailblazer.
The EUSEW Young Energy Trailblazer Award 2022 recognises young people (below 35) carrying out outstanding activities, that advance the clean energy transition in Europe and inspire ambitious climate and energy action.
CRITERIA AND EVALUATION
The following eligibility criteria apply to all submissions. Meeting the eligibility criteria is mandatory. Applications that do not meet these criteria will be excluded from the evaluation. Applications nominating somebody else are allowed.
The applicant or nominated young person must be actively carrying out activities in the field of sustainable energy in the European Union or in the European Economic Area and be resident there.
The EUSEW Young Energy Trailblazer Award highlights outstanding activities, projects or actions carried out by young people (below 35). Academic studies and theoretical research projects without any long-term, real-scale application directly linked to sustainable energy are not eligible. Activities promoting commercial products already on the market are also excluded.
Previous winners and finalists
Activities, projects or actions that have previously been shortlisted as EUSEW Awards finalists are not eligible to re-enter the competition. Organisations or individuals that have previously been shortlisted are eligible if they present new activities, projects or actions.
All applications will be checked against the eligibility criteria set out above, before being assessed. The evaluation process then consists of:
- an assessment by European Commission staff and an external technical committee
- a selection of three finalists per category by a high-level jury
The winner will be decided via an online public vote and announced at the Awards ceremony taking place in Brussels on 26 September 2022.
Applications will be scored on three criteria, with a maximum score of ten points each. An application can therefore receive a maximum score of 30 points.
Profile (10 points)
Applicants or the nominated young person have to be below 35 years of age at the time of the start of EUSEW (26 September 2022). They should explain why their activity or the activity of the nominated person is a best-in-class example in their field. Applications should focus on highlighting elements of originality and the personal path (possibly including milestones) to become a leader of the clean energy transition.
Action (10 points)
Applications should elaborate on how the actions implemented by the applicant or nominated young person have advanced the clean energy transition or contributed to tackle specific challenges in the sustainable energy field.
Impact (10 points)
Applications should indicate to which extent the nominated person’s or applicant’s activities are helping towards achieving the European energy and climate targets and/or are an important contribution in the sustainable energy policy debate.
DEADLINE AND NEXT STEPS
- Closing of the call: 14 April 2022
- Evaluation period: May to June 2022
- Applicants informed: mid-June 2022
- Production of promotion material: June 2022
- Opening of the public vote: August 2022
- Closing of the public vote: 18 September 2022
- EUSEW Awards Ceremony: 26 September 2022
OBLIGATIONS OF THE FINALISTS AND WINNERS
By applying to the EUSEW Awards 2022 competition, the shortlisted finalists and winners agree to support the promotion of the Awards and its results by:
- providing additional information about the finalist to the EUSEW organising team for the development of promotional material including but not limited to being available for a filmed interview and providing photos and quotes;
- using promotional materials to promote the Awards voting on any available channels in a strategic and effective manner;
- participating in possible follow-up activities in the course of 2022 and beyond (e.g. meetings, events, video production, etc.);
- granting the European Commission the right to use, for its communication and publicising activities, information relating to the project/initiative.
The European Commission will promote the projects/initiatives through its regular and ad hoc channels. Photos and videos taken by the European Commission either in preparation of the Awards ceremony or during the Awards ceremony are the sole property of the European Commission.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT
We invite you to read our FAQ section. Should you have any additional questions about the Awards, please contact the EUSEW Secretariat at awardseusew [dot] eu (awards[at]eusew[dot]eu).