- energy efficiency | renewable resources | renewable energy
- Thursday 22 June 2023, 13:30 - 14:30 (CEST)
- Madrid, Spain
The i-STENTORE workshop aims to delve into the concept of innovative hybrid energy storage systems and their crucial role in enabling green energy empowerment. This workshop will present the objectives, technical framework, and valuable insights derived from i-STENTORE pilots. It will facilitate a lively discussion among experts about the vast potential of energy storage technologies.
The workshop's primary objectives are as follows:
- Highlight the significance of hybrid energy storage systems in advancing the transition to sustainable and green energy solutions.
- Share knowledge and experiences gained from the i-STENTORE project pilots, which involve the deployment and integration of various versatile energy storage technologies.
- Foster collaboration and partnerships among industry experts, researchers, policymakers, and investors to accelerate the adoption of hybrid energy storage systems.
- Identify challenges, opportunities, and best practices for maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of energy storage solutions in different applications and contexts.
The workshop will provide a comprehensive overview of the technical framework underpinning innovative hybrid energy storage systems. Key topics for discussion may include:
- Overview of different energy storage technologies (e.g. battery storage systems, supercapacitors, hydrogen storage, thermal storage in industrial furnaces, pump-hydro storage) their combinations in hybrid storage systems and their characteristics.
- Integration and optimisation techniques for hybrid energy storage systems to support the distribution and transmission grids and enhance their overall performance, reliability and flexibility.
- Advanced control and management strategies to ensure seamless operation, grid stability, and effective utilisation of stored energy.
- Synergies between hybrid energy storage systems and renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, to overcome intermittency challenges and enable a more sustainable energy mix.
- Evaluating economic viability, cost-benefit analysis, and potential revenue streams associated with hybrid energy storage deployments.
- Environmental and sustainability considerations in the design, manufacturing, and end-of-life management of energy storage systems.
- Regulatory updates to enable the multi-purpose use of storage and to promote its deployment
Insights from i-STENTORE Pilots
The workshop will showcase real-world insights and lessons learned from the i-STENTORE project pilots. These pilots involve the deployment and integration of versatile energy storage technologies in various applications.
The workshop will facilitate an interactive and engaging discussion among participants, focusing on:
a. Exploring the untapped potential of energy storage technologies and their role in achieving a clean, reliable, and decentralised energy future.
b. Identifying barriers and opportunities for scaling up hybrid energy storage systems, including regulatory frameworks, market incentives, and public acceptance.
c. Examining emerging trends, innovations, and breakthroughs in energy storage technologies and their implications for future deployments.
d. Collaborative brainstorming on novel applications and use cases of hybrid energy storage systems across different sectors and regions.
e. Sharing experiences and best practices from diverse stakeholders, including utilities, project developers, financiers, and policymakers.
In conclusion, the Powering the Future workshop organised by i-STENTORE will contribute to knowledge exchange, collaboration, and exploration of innovative hybrid energy storage systems. Through the presentation of Project pilots, technical discussions, and interactive sessions, the workshop aims to accelerate the transition to a sustainable, green energy future empowered by advanced energy storage solutions.